Saturday, March 24, 2007

Paternity law in Indiana - do we need to reform the law?

I think the answer depends on if you think a man paying support for another's child is unjust. I do see it as unjust. A solution may lie in the Uniform Parentage Act.

I learned of this Act from this article in the Louisville Courier from the Indiana Law Blog. A Google search turned up a copy of the Act here.

Indiana's Court of Appeals limited the time for a father signing a paternity affidavit to set aside the affidavit. (See my post here.) I have no great expectations that the Indiana Supreme Court will overrule the Court of Appeals as the statutory language is clear. That assumes that the Indiana Supreme Court takes the case even if the fathers request a transfer to that court. Any relief must come from the General Assembly.

No comments: