Tuesday, May 8, 2007

From the UK: Together and apart: Children and parents experiencing separation and divorce

I discovered this summary of United Kingdom research by accident but I have to say thank you Google. I incorporated the title Together and apart: Children and parents experiencing separation and divorce into my title above. I quote some of the summary here:

  • Separation for children can be particularly difficult when followed by a number of other changes to the family setting, for example where parents find new partners or where new children are brought into the household.
  • Financial hardship and parental distress are also associated with continuing problems for children.
  • Formal interventions need to be child-centred and available to all on the basis of need rather than civil status. However, many children seek better communication with and informal support from friends and family.
None of which sounds so different from Indiana. Why should it? People are people. While a bit thick on the policy side of things, I do suggest that it all be read.

No comments: