Friday, December 28, 2007

No State-Funded Divorce Lawyer in Washington, but Indiana?

I suggest that the following does show a good side of Indiana. Indiana does have a statute which provides a state-furnished lawyer for indigent parties. See my earlier article on this subject here.

Then go read the following article at Florida Divorce * Child Custody * Domestic Violence Law Lawyer, WA: No Right to State-Furnished Lawyer in Divorce Cases:

"A Washington state mother lost primary residential custody of her children to her husband in their divorce."


On appeal, the mother argued that the state should have provided her with a lawyer, just as it provides lawyers to indigent criminal defendants. Her rationale was that the state requires people to go through complex public court proceedings to obtain a divorce, and ordinary people cannot be expected to participate in them effectively without counsel.

No comments: