Saturday, February 23, 2008

Indiana Child in College and Educational Expenses- what is a parent to do?

Educational expenses and child support makes a subject broad enough for many posts. We start today with the situation of a child who is approaching twenty-one, and is in college.

Remember child support ends at age 21 - unless there is an order for post-secondary education expenses. (For where child support ends before age twenty-one see ).

If an order for post-secondary education exists before the child turns twenty-one, then the ordinary child support order ends after age twenty-one and the non-custodial parent pays only their share of educational expenses.

What to do if there is no order for educational expenses in place and the child will soon be 21? File a petition to modify support to get an order for educational expenses.

If you need to file a petition to modify support, feel free to contact my office.

No comments: