Saturday, May 17, 2008

California Supreme Court Okays Gay Marriage

I know I am a day late on this but see the following post for why the posts here are a bit untimely.

Yes, gay marriage raises the hackles of some, but I have not had the time to read the actual opinion from the California Supreme Court. While I have publicly stated that I have no problem with the idea of gay marriage, I know that there will be problems in putting the idea into practice. Divorce.360 published Same Sex: End of Relationships Produce Tough Legal and Financial Issues which discusses some of these problems.

Three experts who research the issues surrounding domestic partnerships among gay and lesbian couples have all found that they may face high levels of grief and frustration at the dissolution of their relationships. The difficulties can generally be separated into two parts: legal and emotional.
Remember that unless and until our General Assembly does something, Indiana gay and lesbian couples have a limited number of rights under Indiana law. I recommend that they get a cohabitation agreement to protect themselves.

No comments: