Thursday, August 9, 2007

At what age does child decide which parent to live with?

Under Indiana law, a child never gets to decide which parent to live with. Judges make decisions about where the child lives or the parents agree where a child is to live with the judge (usually) approving their agreement.

After age 14, a child's wishes may be considered by a judge but the law never gives to the child the ultimate decision on which parent has custody.

Both guardianships and adoptions which require the consent of anyone over the age of 14. This may be the reason so many people think that children get a controlling voice in custody decisions.

1 comment:

GW said...

Can you tell me where I can find the exact Indiana Law on this? I am in a situation where I have physical custody of my 12 year old and her father and I have joint custody. She doesnt want to follow the rules at my house so she wants to stay with her dad and he refuses to bring her back. I need documentation to show her father the law on this. Can you help? Thanks