Friday, August 24, 2007

Collaborative divorce

Last month I was asked by a person why family law had to be so combative. Frankly, that is a question that has buzzed around me for most my nineteen year career. This post will be not be the definitive answer to that question but merely the beginning. Which I will kick off with a question: why is collaborative divorce not more popular?

What is collaborative divorce? The Georgia Family Law Blog has a rather long post on the subject, Collaborative divorce trades negotiation for confrontation. I suggest reading the whole thing but here is a taste:

That route turned out to be collaborative divorce, an alternative that substitutes negotiation for confrontation. It is becoming more popular, in part because more people have discovered it and in part because more professionals are practicing it.

No comments: