Saturday, November 3, 2007

Paternity without a hearing - Part 2 - 31-14-8

I wrote about what to do when you get a summons in a paternity case in Paternity: If You Get Served with A Paternity Petition and a Summons. I concluded that post with this:

For those who receive a Summons and Petition to Establish Paternity: 1) get a lawyer; and 2) show up for your hearings.

IC 31-14-8-2 explains the second half of that paragraph. That statute allows a judgment against the man so long as the record shows the man received notice. That lets the court decide paternity, child support, child custody, and parenting time without any input from the man.

The other point still stands - get a lawyer.

No comments: