Friday, December 7, 2007

How to get parenting time with a paternity affidavit?

You got to file a petition with the paternity court. It is simple.

What gets complicated is this:

  1. Indiana has no official forms, but in these type of cases you need a caption identifying the court, case, and the parties.
  2. You need to state who you are and why you want visitation/parenting time.
  3. It has to be signed in front of a notary or
  4. You need to get a hearing date from the court.
  5. You need to get a Notice of Hearing prepared which shows the date and time of the hearing and get this to the court for service.
  6. Service meaning serving on the other party, and you need to make sure this happens because the court will not generally let you know. (No service, no hearing).
  7. Show up for the hearing.
If you think this sounds complicated, then you need to talk to a lawyer. For numbers 1 - 6 are the simplest things we do in a case.

No comments: