Monday, July 28, 2008

Tips for Same-Sex Couples By Way of California

I came very close to not commenting on Prominent Los Angeles Family Law Firm Offers Top Ten Check List for Same-Sex Couples Marrying in California - too tied to California gays being allowed to marry (for now), too much discussion of the California ballot initiative. However, a closer reading showed me that there some good points for Hoosier gay couples (and frankly, straight couples).

Here is is my suggestion: ignore 6, 8, 9 and 10 completely; ignore the word "California" anywhere between 1 and 6; and ignore any reference to the ballot initiative. With number 4, substitute "cohabitation agreeement" for "prenuptial agreement".

Pay particular attention to 7. I have not seen this suggestion elsewhere, but having seen it and thought about it I think the idea is a good one for cohabitating couples.

No comments: