Sunday, September 20, 2009

Does Where I Got Married Matter When I Want to Get Divorced?

Where you got married has nothing to do with where you can get divorced.  Where you live determines where you can get divorced. 

Go back and read my Indiana Divorce - The Residency Requirement for an explanation of what residency is needed to get divorced in Indiana.

For example those who get married in Indiana and move their residence elsewhere cannot get divorced in Indiana.  Notice that word residence.  Hoosier military personnel who do not change their residence can file for divorce in Indiana.

I bring this up because recently I have two different inquiries with this same exact question.  I hope this will answer future questions.

Remember, if you want more information about retaining me for a case, please give me a call at 765-641-7906.



No comments: