Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Preparing for Mediation in Indiana

Several weeks ago I had a consultation about mediation.  The potential client was rather unclear about what she wanted to know about mediation and I wish I had been aware of some new videos from the Indiana Supreme Court.  I would have sent her onto this web page. Since you are reading this, I assume that you have questions about mediation. 

I think the vast majority of family law attorneys prefer settlement.  Mediation provides one means to reach a settlement.  Give Yes we can! Using divorce mediation in a collaborative divorce a read for using mediation in a collaborative divorce case. 

However, it suffers from the same weakness as all other forms of settlement:  if one person acts in bad faith, does not want to settle, there will be no settlement.  With one or both parties unwilling to settle, the only choice is for a judge to tell the parties what they will do.

Although not connected with Indiana, here is a an hour plus audio lecture on mediation (I must admit I did not listen to it all - it was distracting the wife from a movie on Showtime).

It seems I may need to start an archive for mediation articles.  In the meantime, you will find my other articles touching on mediation if  you use the search box at the top of the blog with the query of "mediation".

No comments: